Many homeowners decide to sell their property on their own to save themselves the cost of commissions paid out to a real estate agent. Commissions are generally around 5% or more of the selling price. You may want to consider, however, the costs you will incur to market your home yourself. You will be responsible for placing ads and creating flyers for your house. Also, you will have to devote much time to answering phone inquiries about your home and showing the property. Consider whether or not you will feel comfortable showing your home to strangers who show up unannounced.
Should you decide to sell through a licensed real estate agent, ask your friends and family for recommendations. Interview several agents before choosing the one you wish to hire. Find an agent that you trust and feel comfortable with.
Below are some of the advantages of working with a licensed real estate agent.
The seller’s agent will:
- Help you to establish a fair asking price.
- Handle all advertising and marketing of your home.
- Schedule appointments and show your home without your presence.
- Market your home to other real estate offices and agents.
- Represent you in the negotiations with the prospective buyer.
- Guide you through the closing process.